Tulips are blooming, and the forsythia is on full display here at your local Nashua Nursery! Here are some mid-Spring garden to-dos before summer starts.
It’s officially May, which means spring is on full display at your local Nashua Nursery! If you’re planning to revamp your entire garden or just looking to add a few annuals to your landscape, we’ve got you covered at Sunny Valley Farms in Amherst, NH! Today, we’re talking garden prep. Keep reading for some helpful tips on mid-spring gardening.
Spring Is In The Air!
Your tulips are blooming, and the trees are budding, yet that doesn’t mean your spring gardening prep is complete. We’d all love to sit back and watch nature take over, but there are a few things we can do to promote the health of our gardens in May. Here are some spring prep tips for May gardening:
- Clean your bird feeders: If you plan to keep your bird feeders out all summer, now is an excellent time to clean them and refill them with fresh seed or nectar.
- Make notes of your spring flowers: If you notice some sparse sections or want more variation, make a note of what bulbs to purchase for the fall.
- Plant new perennials and cold-hardy annuals: Now is the perfect time to stock up on new plants! Look for cold-hardy annuals like pansies or petunias. Perennials will appreciate the time to grow their roots before the summer heat hits!
Don’t Forget To…
There are, of course, a few things to consider for the health and longevity of your landscaping and yourself! Here are a few things to consider while maintaining your garden in May:
- Protect yourself from ticks. This is especially important in mid-to-late spring! Wearing light-colored clothes, tucking your pants into your socks, and wearing long-sleeved shirts with snug collars and cuffs can help!
- Don’t be too hasty to plant warm-season vegetables in the garden. Crops like tomatoes, peppers, squash, and cucumbers can be planted once the nighttime temperature stays above 50°F.
- Renovate or seed your lawn. While fall is the best time to establish a healthy lawn, it can be done in mid-spring if you apply frequent irrigation after seeding.
Purchase Your May Garden Supplies – Nashua Nursery
Whether you’re looking for a total rehaul in your garden or you need just a few annuals to spruce up your flower pots, we are here to help! Stop by our Nashua nursery for the most beautiful and updated gardening supplies!